A few days ago, I asked you all for your best tips for remembering names while networking. Thank you for all of your tips, here are all of your great ideas!
Tips to Remember Names for Your Next Networking Event
- Missy makes notes on her phone.
- MBARoadie repeats names back.
- Pema remembers names using alliterations. “If I meet someone who seems hyper named Claire, I’ll think, “Claire is the crazy one.” If I meet someone who seems quiet named Marcus, I’ll think, “Marcus is the mellow one.” It sounds cheesy, but it works! 🙂
- Dawn makes a cheat sheet on the fridge to remember.
- Margaret looks people up beforehand–seeing a profile picture, or reading their blog, etc. really helps cement the name before she even meets them.
- Bea visualizes someone’s name across their forehead when first meeting them – this is a trick that Franklin Roosevelt used as well!
- Alice just keeps asking their name if she forgets. Don’t be scared to ask!
- Missy repeats names after learning them, but her memory is still not all that great!
- Sivaelectric remembers the names by thinking about the discussion he had with them.
- Professiongal remembers to repeat their name after they introduce themselves by responding with, “Nice to meet you, [INSERT NAME HERE]. She also adds that having to ask again, though uncomfortable, isn’t taken offensively.
- Ally asks them to spell it so she can visualize the name in her head. Many times common names have different spellings too, so that helps her remember.
[Related Post: The 5 Steps to Networking Effectively in Your Job Hunt]