Last week, members in the Get Ahead Club had the opportunity to listen to my interview with Dr. Valerie Young. Dr. Young is the author of The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women: Why Capable People Suffer from the Impostor Syndrome and How to Thrive in Spite of It. She is an internationally-known speaker, a leading expert on the impostor syndrome.
Read this book if…. you have fear or insecurities and feel undeserving of your hard-won success. (You are not alone!)
The imposter phenomenon in high achieving women was actually studied by psychologists who found that women have a pattern of dismissing accomplishments and believing that their success would disappear once others discovered the awful secret that they were, in fact, “imposters.”
A few things Get Ahead Club members learned is…
- Expect to be lucky. Put yourself in situations to find luck.
- You can’t control what other people think. You can only control your own response.
- Women don’t give themselves enough credit for what they can do.”I want everyone to know just how bright and capable you really are. But the person I most want to acknowledge your brilliance is you.”
- Make it a skill to wing it.
- People who feel like frauds sometimes believe that they are where they are because they happened to be in the right place at the right time. Don’t dismiss your achievements because of timing.
Want to get the rest of the interview and start taking action to get ahead in your career this year? You can try the Get Ahead Club for only $1 today and listen to the recordings from all the interviews, get the action plan worksheet, the Cliff Notes and interact with the Get Ahead Club community right now! Click here to learn more.
Latest posts by Anna Runyan (see all)
- How To Teach Online and Stop the Overwhelm - February 18, 2017
- Emily Ley Office Products: This Week’s Classy Career Giveaway! - February 14, 2017
- 10 Best Personality Assessments For Your Career - February 9, 2017