15 Ways I Paid Off $80,000 of Debt in 18 months
26Sep

15 Ways I Paid Off $80,000 of Debt in 18 months

About the Author

Anna Runyan

Anna is the founder of Classy Career Girl, named by Forbes as one of the top 35 most influential career sites of 2014. She helps millions of women design and launch their dream careers, businesses and lives through her website, online courses and social media channels.

Comments (18)

Shauna B - August 18, 2015

First off, thank you for sharing! How long did it take to pay off your 80K in debt, if you don’t mind me asking! I am using these tips to save rather than pay off debt. 🙂 I can really resonate with needing to clear out clutter and sell, sell, sell. We have tons of c r a p that needs to GO!

Anna Runyan - September 9, 2015

Hi Shauna! I am glad you found these tips helpful! It took us a few years and it was not easy. It feels so good to get rid of crap. My husband and I just did that as we sold everything and then are on a cross country road trip visiting friends and family. You really don’t need all the stuff you think you do! 🙂

Anita - September 2, 2015

I would think it depends if it is a combined income, and what your incomes are that determines how much and fast someone can pay off a large debt.

Anonymous - November 28, 2015

Exactly. How do you pay off that much that much debt when you are single? If I had an extra income, I would be able to do that in 18 months too.

Anonymous - September 8, 2015

$80,000 in 18 months…..I’ll bet you make more than $20k/year though ? This just isn’t feasible for a single mom on retail income…..

Wendy - September 24, 2015

Paid off in 18 months or a few years? If a few years, how many? Having 2 incomes would definitely help to pay debt off quicker wouldn’t you think?

Mandy - October 9, 2015

This is wonderful. My Fiance and I have been working so hard to get our debts down. We are getting married in January, and should ONLY have our student loans left, and we are starting a savings. It feels wonderful not to have to manage multiple credit cards and stress about every penny. We still have so much to work on, but I know we can do it, and this blog is a testament to that!

Anna Runyan - November 6, 2015

You can do it! I love your passion Mandy. Don’t give up!

Daniel - November 8, 2015

I’ve worked myself into the hospital, twice, trying to get out if debt. End result was $10000 further in debt, five years lost, income decreased by 50%, and any chance of med-school right out the window. All because of a mountain of medical bills when I was graduating college which destroyed my credit rating. After 20-years I’ve just about lost all hope of ever getting out of debt.

Elle - December 29, 2015

Daniel,
    I hear you! Right now we are in a mountain of medical debt because of me and it’s not going to end so I’m not sure I see the light at the end of the tunnel… Good luck I will be praying for you!
    Elle

Lisa - January 12, 2016

Over the past year my husband and I have reduced our debt by 25K. Our first step was to actually discuss our finances like adults instead of fighting over it all the time, then we put together a plan like cutting out unnecessary costs like cable TV and having a car. Made such a difference just talking honestly about money!
Great post Anna.
Lisa x​
lisavillaume.com

Sandra Berger - April 19, 2016

Anna,

thanks so much for the amazing tips! It definitely helps when there are two incomes. However, it’s not necessary. I’m in the process of paying off my debt (especially my credit cards), too. I even got a side job – I started to uber on the nights when my daughter is with her dad – that helped me pay off some of the smaller cards quicker. So no matter if you’re single, married, are in a one or two income household, paying off debt is totally doable!

Anna Runyan - April 20, 2016

Your story is inspiring Sandra! Thanks for sharing it! Good for you! Maybe someday you can write an article on CCG and share your story! 🙂

akosu - April 20, 2016

Absolutely love this article! I have paid off $22k in student loans in the past 1.5 years, and reading articles like yours inspires me to keep at it. Thanks!

Anna Runyan - April 20, 2016

Keep at it! Don’t give up! Thanks for your comment!

Karen - April 20, 2016

Thank you for your motivating true story. On January 1st 2016 my husband and I set a goal of paying off $32000 of debt by Dec. 31st 2016 by following Dave Ramsey’s baby steps. I am happy to report that as of 4/28/16 we will have already paid off $16,000!!!!!!! Wa whooooo! That’s half our goal in just 4 months!!!! 🙂

Anna Runyan - April 20, 2016

Awesome! So great to hear that Karen! Congrats!! It’s amazing what setting a goal can do along with some discipline and work. It’s not easy but I am proud! Hopefully you can share your story here in an article on CCG in the future and inspire more people!