I have been thinking a lot about balance lately. This book, The Pause Principle, was mailed to me for review at the perfect time. After reading the title, I really didn’t think I was going to like it but just one chapter in and I knew that this book was exactly what I needed at this point in my life. Things were moving too fast and I need to pause, figure out my priorities and make sure that my life gets back in balance.
In our fast-paced, achieve-more-now culture, the loss of pause potential is epidemic. If leaders today do not step back, to stop momentum, to gain perspective, to transcend the immediacies of life and to accelerate their leadership, we will continue to crash economically, personally and collectively.” -Kevin Cashman
Here are 3 things I learned about why it is important to pause to step back in order to lead forward:
- What sleep is to the mind and body, pause is to leadership and innovation. Pause transforms management into leadership and the status quo into new realities.
- If you are trying to lead change in your organization, you have to first know that all real change begins with self-change and pause is a catalyst for self-change.
- Managers control systems and processes to produce results; leaders foster meaning and purpose to achieve transformative growth. Pause so that you can be a leader on purpose by identifying your core values and talents.
To join this book giveaway, here is what you need to do using Rafflecopter below. Each task you accomplish is equivalent to 1 point. The more points the better! Good luck!
- Like Classy Career Girl on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @classycareer
- Tweet about this giveaway (make sure you mention @classycareer in the tweet)
- Leave a comment below telling us what leadership means to you.
This giveaway is open to US and Canada residents only. It begins NOW and ends on December 7th, 2012 at 12am EST. I will be giving away TWO copies so there will be TWO lucky winners for this giveaway. The winners will be selected via random draw and will be notified by e-mail. You have 24 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected. Good luck!
Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of the book to review but this did not change what I wrote about the book.