We are down to the final days of our networking challenge. But, you can still start at the beginning! Here are Networking Days 1-5, Networking Days 6-10, Networking Days 11-15, Networking Days 16-20, and Networking Days 21-25.
The greatest results in life are usually attained by simple means and the exercise of ordinary qualities. These may for the most part be summed in these two: common sense and perseverance.” -Owen Feltham
Networking and Connecting: Days 26-30
Here are days 26-30!!! Good luck!
- Day 26: Stay in touch: Send Linkedin requests to people you met this week. Go through Linkedin today and try to connect with as many people that you can that you know. Linkedin can tell you people you may know by going through your address book or you can search names of people that you would like to stay in touch with.
- Day 27: Go to the library or bookstore and buy a book about networking. My recommendations are Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi, The Fine Art of Small Talk by Debra Fine or How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. And don’t just buy the book and put it on your bookshelf…make time to read it!!
- Day 28: Wake up 15-20 minutes earlier. You might not think today’s task has anything to do with networking but it does! One of the biggest excuses that people use for not networking is that they don’t have time. Use this extra time in the morning to reconnect with people and stay in touch by sending a quick email or writing a birthday card.
- Day 29: Create a binder or folder on your computer with all of your networking documents and emails. Include your interview questions, contact information, things you learned about each person you interviewed, follow up steps that you need to take in your career and contact information for referrals. Set reminders on your calendar too. Include purpose of meeting, departure situation, target company list, how they can help you, ideas and follow up steps.
- Day 30: Write down what you learned this month in your journal and CELEBRATE. Re-evaluate your goals and if you want to go a different direction next month. Don’t forget to ask a friend or family member to help you celebrate for a job well done! CONGRATS on completing your first month of the networking challenge!
Happy Networking!! If you are ready for another challenge, check out the 4X4 Networking Challenge! Join me!