Are you a manager? Do you ever feel like you are failing to motivate your team? It is hard sometimes to be the boss because you want people to like and respect you, but that doesn’t come easy. I know I sometimes get frustrated because I am a perfectionist and I expect perfection from my team. I have learned that you have to be patient and teach people how to improve, rather than just fix things yourself. Here are more secrets to success from Investor’s Business Daily on how to be a better boss:
How to Be a Better Boss
- Demand honest feedback: You want to know how you are doing and what you can improve on right?
- Set standards: Don’t reward average workers.
- Tackle problems early and fast: Problems will only get worse if you don’t.
- Hire slowly and hire well. Go beneath the surface during interviews. Don’t ask the same interview questions over and over. Instead, make your future employees give a presentation. Get to know them and how they work. Let the whole team interview the employee and get buy in from everyone. Don’t be the only one making the final decision.
- Know the drill: On a scale of 1-10, managers who rank themselves a 7 tend to hire 5s. Why? Because average supervisors are afraid of being shown up. Top managers hire 10s and are not worried about being shown up. BE A 10!!
- Circle back: Set high expectations and make sure you circle back to see if goals are met.