Citi and LinkedIn asked me to share some results of a national survey exploring what women see as their biggest career challenges, their most pressing financial concerns and how they define success. You can check out the survey details but here are a few highlights that I found interesting. And make sure you scroll down for a chance to win a LinkedIn premium membership!
Linkedin Premium Giveaway: What Does Success Mean To You?
On “having it all”:
- All in all, women feel that success, as they’ve defined it, is attainable. Only 4 percent of the survey respondents didn’t think that one day they would “have it all.”
- Career success isn’t limited to the C-Suite. Only 17 percent of women stated that reaching the height of success in their field was a factor in their assessment of “having it all.” For the majority, success was defined by a job that they enjoy, where their work is valued.
- Women’s definition of career success changes over time. Respondents under 35 were more than twice as likely (26 percent vs. 11 percent) than those over 35 to equate “having it all” with reaching the height of success in their field. Respondents over 35, on the other hand, were more than twice as likely as their younger counterparts to equate it with “being your own boss” (19 percent vs. 8 percent).
- Professional women’s top three career concerns: Work-life balance, career advancement opportunities and finding the time to network.
- Paying off student loans tops professional women’s list of financial concerns, with 42 percent of those surveyed reporting that they worry about their student loans on a daily basis. Retirement savings, credit card debt, and paying for their children’s needs and education rounded out the top 5 list of financial worries.
Win a LinkedIn Premium Membership:
To enter the giveaway, leave a comment with the answer to this question, “What does success mean to you?” for a chance to win an 8 month premium LinkedIn membership. To win extra entry points, readers can become members of the Connect LinkedIn group. Just include a separate comment that you joined the group! THREE winners will be selected randomly and will be notified by e-mail. You have 24 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected. The giveaway begins NOW and ends on October 24th, 2012 at 10pm EST.