How To Wear Your Hair For An Interview

How To Wear Your Hair For An Interview

Dear Classy Career Girl, I am really curious how to wear your hair for an interview. Is it better to have our hair up or down for an interview?

Recently I received this question from a reader. I asked for your suggestions on Twitter and here are your responses! Apparently this is one hot topic!!

What do you think?  Hair up or down?

Comments

comments

Signature
About Anna Runyan

Hi! I’m known as the leading authority on getting women unstuck out of careers they hate. For the last 5 years I’ve been helping clients transition into careers they love. I have worked behind the scenes helping hundreds of professional women find fulfilling, challenging and purposeful careers. Make sure you sign up for my Free ‘CHEAT SHEET’
– 7 proven steps to get out of a job you HATE and into a career you LOVE.

Comments

1. I like to wear my hair down for interviews for the most part. But where on weekends I like to try to attain a tousled, Victoria’s Secret wavy-ness for my hair, I definitely do not do this for an interview. I would die if someone perceived me as trying to be ‘sexy’ in that sort of environment! Generally if it’s down in an interview, I’ll straighten it and make sure it’s off my face. Hair in your face is cute on off-time, but screams ‘sultry’ and ‘just rolled out of bed’, which are two things I’m definitely never trying to go for in a professional environment!

2. Kaitlin says:

I’m surprised to see so many responses that suggest wearing your hair up. I am not sure why I never considered that an option, but my eyes have been opened. My go to hair style has always been down, blow dried and straightened so that it looks sleek, professional, and well done. I guess the hair style you chose is the one that makes you feel confident during the interview. This discussion has inspired me to try wearing my hair up for work!

• Anna Runyan says:

Hi Kaitlin-I agree with you, however you feel the most confident is how you should wear your hair. Glad this discussion helped open your eyes:) Have fun with the new hairstyle! :)

3. Edie Thornton says:

Thanks for the tips from everyone, I have kind of a messy curly style, but I will definitely make sure it is more sleek and off of my face for interviews, thanks for the tips.

4. Gloria says:

So long as your hair is neat and clean, any style will work. However, I do prefer down, blow dried straight. However, curled at the bottom would work as well.

5. Jacqi says:

I’ve always worn my hair in a clean low-bun for the most professional look. I’m in a male-dominated field (engineering) so I think the low-bun is the best way to go.

6. Evelyn says:

I look really young. People often think I am in high-school. I want to look more professional. I was told if I wear my hair up, it makes me look like a baby. Any advice for someone who looks really young? Does up really tend to make one appear more youthful?

• Anna Runyan says:

Hi Evelyn! Thanks for the question and sorry for the delay in responding! Good question. So I do have to agree that if you have a young face, putting your hair up does make you look younger. The other thing it does it makes it look like you haven’t put as much time into getting ready for the day and that you might not care enough about your appearance and how people view you. When I was in college I would wear my hair in a bun everyday to work because it was easy and I was always in a rush. But after I graduated I felt like I needed to make a change to become more professional. Now I always blow dry and straighten my hair everyday so that it looks like I care and have put time in my appearance. I also look more professional I think with hair down. I do occasionally put my hair back for casual fridays which is totally fine. I think it also depends on your work environment and whether it is a casual environment or a professional environment. If I were you, I would think about getting a hair cut that is really easy to do and you don’t have to spend much time on it in the morning. That way you can sometimes put your hair back and sometimes leave it down. I would just make sure that you aren’t always putting it up for work. So to answer your question, I would have to agree with other people that wearing your hair up is probably making you appear younger than you really are. Play around with your hair and do what makes you feel best and how you feel more comfortable and confident. Maybe a little more makeup could help as well if you want to put your hair back. That could help you look older. There are my ideas, hope they help!!!

• Amanda says:

THANK YOU SOO MUCH. I never thought of it from the angle of it looking as though I don’t care or spend anytime on my appearance. That adds a new perspective for me. Thanks again

7. Cara says:

I’ll speak up for those of us with natural curls who work in professional environments. I have so much hair that blowouts take up to an hour and are best left to a professional. I’d advise other curly girls not to fight your hair but to invest in an excellent haircut every 8 weeks and not to scrimp on the hair products. I love Aveda and my mother loves Ouidad. Well-kept curls worn in a style that makes you feel confident will speak volumes.

8. Ashley says:

I have always worn my hair up to an interview. I worry about fidgeting with it if I ever experience a moment of nervousness. I don’t want to run my fingers through it or do anything to present an image that I’m undecided or fidget-y. When it is pinned up or back I am more conscious of the fact that it is specifically styled and I do not want to touch it or mess it up. It’s one less thing I have to worry about and I am better able to focus on the questions themselves.

9. I totally agree with up, its more professional and if you make it simple it is less likely to cause problems for you!

10. Jean C says:

When I was young I had long wavy hair and would straighten it and wear it that way. Although I wore it up sometimes, I don’t recall wearing it up to an interview.

Later, as a manager and business owner – I did not care how people wore their hair, as long as the over all affect was clean and neat. What mattered more, was their skills and confidence and whether I thought they could do the job or not.

So I would say, Focus not so much on your hair style but on being clean and neat, showing your confidence in yourself and what you can do.

11. Harmony says:

I have a job interview tomorrow for a water park. This is a group interview. I wasn’t sure how to do my for the interview, and I am extremely nervous about making a bad impression. My hair is really curly and I was thinking about just leaving it down. Is this a good choice? I really wish I could get rid of these butterflies and put more thought into this. Thanks.

12. Brandi says:

I’ve been on a few interviews and I’ve spoken to many professors and colleagues as well as a former employer about this. I have come to the conclusion that it does not matter as long as your hair is clean and neat. If you where it down don’t just blow dry it and go. Take the time to curl it properly or run the straightener over it. Everyone’s hair is different however by running a curling iron over my hair or straightener it gets rid of my fly away hairs and adds some shine. The same thing for “up dos”. If you’re going to wear it up make sure your hair is clean and it is done neatly. No high top pony tails or over the top bumps. Also try to avoid the “prom up do look”. Again, wear your hair the way you want to and in a way that will give you an extra skip in your step (confidence). From previous professors to colleagues they all said “clean and neat”. Stick with that and you’ll be fine.

13. Anna Runyan says:

My go-to work hair style is up to. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Leslie!