On January 1st, 2011, I made a new year’s resolution to knock down my barriers to networking and reach my goals. I was graduating with my MBA in March and I was determined to use networking as a way to figure out the next step in my career. I embarked on a 4X4 networking challenge where every month I would meet with four people I already knew but would like to get to know even better. I also made a point of meeting with four new people. My goal was to learn from each person I talked to and ask questions about how I to get to the next step in my career. At the end of 2011, I added 48 new people to my network and strengthened relationships with 48 friends, co-workers and family members.
Are you ready to knock down your barriers to networking?
Become one of the many people who have decided to join me in the networking challenge! Don’t feel the need to start right out with the 4 X 4. Many people start their first month with just meeting a couple of people and then they grow it every month. The most important tip I have is to plan ahead. If you write down who you want to meet and email them BEFORE the month starts- you will be amazed by how easy AND fun it is! So what’s stopping you? Join me!
Find Someone To Keep You Accountable
I am a big believer in sharing your goals, dreams and challenges with the people around you to keep accountable. If you have a plan to expand your network, tell someone and ask them to keep you accountable. You can also ask them how you can return the favor. If you do this, you will not want to disappoint them and will be so much more likely to complete the challenge! One of the only ways that I have been able to complete my challenge is by sharing it with you all on my blog and having you keep me accountable! Your encouragement and support has totally motivated me to keep going!
I Want to Feature Your Networking Story on my Blog!
To give you an extra push, I want to feature your networking story on my blog! Send your networking challenge story to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell me all about your goals, dreams, challenges, fears and all of the interesting people you have met. If you have a blog and write about the challenge, I will post the link here. Let’s encourage and support each other to reach our dreams and goals. I am holding you accountable!
Other bloggers taking the networking challenge:
- ChaChanna at Your Stellar Star
- Julia at Job Vs. Career
- Emmelie at More Musings
- Kim at the made thing
- Trisha at Cali Girl to Cowgirl
- Savvy Working Gal
- Angela at A Working Evolution
- Vinita at Rocket Women
Have you read about my 2012 Networking Challenge?
It’s almost exactly the same as 2011, except there is a twist. I will be recording all of my interviews, so that you can watch them! My goal is to interview and post at least 4 videos/month and complete 50 interviews for you to see by the end of 2012.
So why am I doing this? My 2011 challenge rocked. But, I regret one thing. I took notes when I talked to people but I was terrible about documenting everything I learned and sharing it with you. By recording the conversations this year, I can share with you what I am learning and you can learn with me! Not only that, but I can ALWAYS go back and watch something that I want to hear again.
- Interview #1: How to Communicate Effectively at Work with Dawn Stanyon
- Interview #2: Financial and Money Advice For Young Professionals with Kimberly Palmer
- Interview #3: Career Advice From a President of A Social Media Company with Ashley Ranger
- Interview #4: Resume Advice For Frustrated Job Seekers with Mona Abdel-Halim
- Interview #5: Fashion Advice From an Image Consultant with Sarah Ward
- Interview $6: Time Management and Work Life Balance with ChaChanna Simpson
- Interview #7: Moving From Corporate World to Entrepreneur with Tiffany Ish
- Interview #8: How to Turn Your Resume and Intership Into Your Dream Job with Kat Krull
- Interview #9: How To Improvise- Don’t Prepare, Just Show Up with Patricia Ryan Madson
- Interview #10: How To Get Into the Fashion Industry with Jen Worman
- Interview #11: How To Choose a Career Path with Dennece Mckelvy
- Interview #12: A Woman’s Guide to Successful Negotiating with Jessica Miller
- Interview #13: How To Prepare For a Job Interview with Carole Martin
- Interview #14: Advice For Someone Thinking About Starting a Business with Sirena Moore
- Interview #15: Job Search Strategies and Ideas from a Job Coach with Jacqui Washington
- Interview #16: How To Create a Compelling Resume with Karleen Harp
- Interview #17: How To Get a Job Offer with Andrea Kay
- Interview #18: Business, Networking and Internship Advice with Annie Ladino
- Interview #19: Health and Nutrition Advice For Career Girls with Lisa Marie Rowell
- Interview #20: Interview Attire and Outfit Ideas for Working Women with Kristyn Schiavone
- Interview #21: Office Etiquette Tips For Professional Women with Diane Gottsman
- Interview #22: How To Progress In Your Career with Mary Foley
- Interview #23: How To Get Over Your Fear of Change with Coach Jennie
- Interview #24: A Woman’s Guide To Working With Men with Jennifer Crittenden
- Interview #25: How To Stay Energized and Positive At Work with Teresa Bell