If you read my post about my 2013 year in review and looking forward to 2014, you learned that my new mantra from 2014 is “What can I say no to?” Saying no is extremely hard for me and I wind up with way too many things on my plate. I learned this the hard way in 2013 and am determined to make 2014 the year to simplify and focus.
Part of this is simplifying my business and focusing on the type of work that I really want to do.
What made me start thinking about saying no is when I heard Bob Goff, author of Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World, say that he quits something every Thursday. At first it seemed crazy, but then I made a list of all of the things that I wanted to quit and said why not? But, don’t get me wrong. I am not a quitter! I am only quitting things that are in the way of the big goals and dreams that I have this year. I am quitting the things that are holding me back. I am quitting the things that have caused many other bloggers and new business owners to just flat out quit their entire businesses. I have to quit some things so I can focus on doing my best work and making it even better.
1) One of the things that I will say no to in 2014 is job search coaching. This was a really hard decision. For the past three years I have offered job search, resume and interview preparation coaching to my clients. I have loved every second of the work I have done but with my book coming out, I have realized that my passions and focus are changing. My new 2014 individual coaching spots will now only be for mid to high level leaders looking for leadership development, time management, communication and stress management techniques to upgrade their leadership and accelerate their career success. BUT DON’T WORRY if you are a job searcher!! Over the last two years I have created many job search products for you so you can get ALL of my tips and tricks in my Get Unstuck Quick Start, my 10-Day Cover Letter and Resume Makeover System or my 90-Day Find Work You Love Virtual Coaching Program. Then, when you find a job and get a leadership position, come on back and we can work together individually then!
Note: If you are looking for leadership development coaching, I am offering 2014 new year rates for a very limited number of clients. If you would like to discuss coaching with me during a free strategy session, click here to schedule a brief 30 minute free introductory chat so we can see if we are a good match for each other.
2) If you have read my blog for awhile you know that there isn’t a Monday that goes by that doesn’t have my Monday Motivation career links. I get a lot of great feedback on them (and a BIG THANKS to my assistant, Lor, who helps me find awesome links!) but I just have this feeling like it’s time to change. Out with the old, in with the new. I need to create space so that other blog posts and articles can be written on this blog. I am ALWAYS posting links to great articles on Twitter and Facebook so make sure you follow me there to get the latest motivation everyday.
3) There will also be changes to the Get Ahead Club in 2014 that I can’t announce yet. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t join us for some fabulous interviews with some of my all-time favorite career authors in January and February. Umm…Gail Evans and Dr. Lois Frankel! Someone pinch me! You can learn more about the club here.
4) I have a really big personal thing happening this year but I can’t share yet! I know the suspense is killing you…sorry!
What’s Not Changing:
1) My weekly career report delivered to your inbox with free content and tips not on the blog. The content of the newsletters this year will be focused on how to become an effective female leader. If you aren’t a leader yet, I highly encourage you to sign up and read the articles. The best way to become a great leader is to start acting one like now. I believe that you can start leading at any level you are at. I have led a lot of my bosses and clients in the past even though there were much higher than me on the totem pole. Make sure you sign up for my FREE leadership course and my weekly career report here.
2) Blog posts throughout the week. I am not sure how many days yet….it may not be every weekday like it has in the past. What matters to me this year is quality over quantity.
3) Blog posts from yours truly! Yay! Since I made the commitment to start saying no, I stopped teaching as a Professor this year. This clears up more room in my schedule for writing in 2014 which I am really excited about!
This is new too! At the end of each post, I am going to give you homework this year. So today’s homework is to make a list of all of the items that you want to say no to. Then, try to eliminate them from your schedule by delegating them or just letting them go if they aren’t necessary anymore. When I did this, I realized that there were a lot of things I thought I HAD to do but I really didn’t have to. Another way you can do this is to make a long list of everything you hate doing during your day. Then figure out how you can take them off your plate. This way you can clear time for the things in your life that you really enjoy doing AND that you are good at! This is the secret to your success in 2014.