Monday Motivation: I Started Writing a Book

Monday Motivation: I Started Writing a Book

This weekend I did something really scary on my list of fears before I hit 30.  I started writing a book proposal.  Writing a book is something that I have always wanted to do but it just seems so huge and scary.  I can think of a million reasons why I should stop with this silly dream and not keep going.  But, it is one of those things that I feel like if I just do a little bit everyday it will be better in the long run.  I think of how I have been so encouraged and motivated in my own life by words on books written by other people.  What if my book can help one person?  Then I should write it!  So here’s to a long journey ahead of me but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run!

Remember that tonight is the monthly chat night with me at 8:30 EST!  You can sign up for the chat and send in your question here.  Or here is the dial in information so that you can just jump on and listen or ask me questions on the spot.  I am looking forward to it!

Here are your career links to start your week off right!

Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as you mind lets you. What you believe, you can achieve.” - Mary Kay Ash

Photo credit: Phil Roeder

Signature
About Anna Runyan

Hi! I’m known as the leading authority on getting women unstuck out of careers they hate. For the last 5 years I’ve been helping clients transition into careers they love. I have worked behind the scenes helping hundreds of professional women find fulfilling, challenging and purposeful careers. Make sure you sign up for my Free ‘CHEAT SHEET’
– 7 proven steps to get out of a job you HATE and into a career you LOVE.

Comments

1. Christine says:

There are no silly dreams! I wish you the best of luck and can’t wait to read your book!

2. Rachel says:

I would most definitely buy your book! :) Keep going, I can’t imagine how huge and scary it seems to tackle, but you write such great content all the time, I believe your book proposal will turn out amazing!

• Anna Runyan says:

Thanks Rachel! I will keep going! It will probably be a few years though:) It really helps reading things like this though! Glad I put it out there on my blog!

3. Kim says:

Awesome! What is your proposal for? I interned at an academic publisher and LOVED the work. So wish that there was a publishing industry where I live now! Congrats on taking the first step!

• Anna Runyan says:

It’s a book about professional advice from myself and other successful business women that I have interviewed on my blog! I am learning a lot about the publishing industry right now. It sounds difficult but nothing a few books and blog posts of reading that I can figure out on my own:) I guess first step is finding an agent….

4. Fiona McGregor says:

Anna that sounds amazing, congrats on going for what you want! Can’t wait to see how it turns out in the end :-)

5. Melissa says:

Go Anna go! Congrats on taking the first step to writing a book by writing a proposal. You are focused, driven, and dilligent, so I know you’ll achieve your goal. You’ve got the right attitude in choosing to take it one day at a time. Remember you’ve got a community of supporters who believe in you!

6. You go girl, I’d definitely read it!!
    xoxo
    Rebecca

7. Ellen says:

Kudos on starting the book!! It’s such a huge thing to start something that scares you. I think the even bigger kudos is that you shared it here on the blog…which makes what you’ve started even more real. Looking forward to it!

8. Well I can’t wait to read it. :)

9. Tara says:

Go you! I have the same dream, I want to right fiction and non-fiction. I keep telling myself to work on it but haven’t yet. GirlSeeksCareer did come out of a book idea. I’m still developing what I want the blog to be. Kudos to you for taking the first step!

• Anna Runyan says:

Thanks Tara! You should definitely write your book too but I think it takes a long long time to figure out what it should actually be about. I am not even positive yet but I have a vague idea and I think it is time to start writing!! What was the book idea that Girlseekscareer came out of? Thanks for the encouragement!

• Tara Jacek says:

I have several ideas…which doesn’t mean I can’t have several books! GSC came out of being frustrated with last year college students and recent grads being rude in the workplace. Many times employers seem to shy away from hiring recent grads or students due to a few bad apples they may have employed. Students and recent grads can get lumped together very easily into undesirable employees.

I may focus GSC more on branding for young professionals.

10. Scott says:

I’ve always wanted to write a book, and just like you mentioned in your post, I’ve been hesitant just because it seems like a daunting task. Hope to read some posts about your progress, because if it isn’t as hard as it seems then I might try it too! Good Luck!

• Anna Runyan says:

Thanks Scott! I will definitely be writing about my journey on my blog! But don’t expect anything too quickly, I am anticipating a few years of work!:) Thanks for commenting and you should start your book today too!

11. Renel M says:

Congrats on taking the first step. I am trying to write my book not sure if I should focus on the proposal or the actual book. How many pages are you aiming for?

• Anna Runyan says:

Hi Renel-Sorry for the delay! Pages, hmmm…that is a good question, I haven’t even thought about it! :) I don’t think I want to think about it because then I might never finish! haha! What is your book about?

Trackbacks

1. [...] May 7th, I announced that I was going to start writing a book on this post.  How much book writing have I done since that day?  Zero!  So I decided that I needed to make a [...]

2. [...] May 7th, I announced that I was going to start writing a book on this post. How much book writing have I done since that day?  Zero! So I decided that I needed to make a [...]